Vote Solar’s mission is to repower the U.S. with clean energy by making solar power more accessible and affordable through effective policy advocacy. We are a non-profit organization with headquarters in Oakland, CA, and regional offices in Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Mexico, North Carolina, Utah, and Washington, D.C.
Vote Solar is seeking to fill a key role on our campaign’s team. The Northeast Director will develop and direct legislative and other public-facing campaigns in the Northeast, and will be point on the following activities:
- Develop Vote Solar’s legislative & public-facing campaign strategy for key states within the region. This will involve developing an understanding of solar policy needs and opportunities in target states across our five program areas of rooftop solar, community solar, utility-scale solar, grid modernization, and access & equity.
- Strategically plan and execute comprehensive regulatory and legislative campaigns to advance solar policy, including hiring lobbyists and tracking budgets.
- Recruit solar champions through relationship building and education of key policymakers in the region.
- Ensure that our work in the region advances equitable energy policies and programs that will benefit underserved communities.
- Leverage grassroots supporters and organizations as well as key influencers to turn solar’s broad popularity into effective political power.
- Build inclusive partnerships within coalitions to increase the effectiveness and authenticity of our campaigns. Lead or participate in coalitions, existing and new, that are working on bold campaigns to improve energy policy.
- Ensure top-notch communications campaigns in the region by working with our internal communications team and coalition partners to plan and implement media and social media tactics to support campaign objectives.
- Applicants should have knowledge of the legislative process, and familiarity with the components of an advocacy campaign.
- Experience working in coalitions and finding common ground among diverse and occasionally competing perspectives.
- Compelling communication skills, including the ability to speak in public and with media outlets.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects at once.
- A personal commitment to building an inclusive and supportive work environment.
- Expertise on solar energy policy and regulatory topics, particularly in the Northeast.
- Strong relationships with regional stakeholders, especially environmental justice groups, environmental groups and/or the solar industry.
This position will ideally be based in Boston but other locations within New England or New York will be considered. As this position will require some regional travel, proximity to transportation hubs is important. Workplace arrangements can be flexible, including options to work from home. We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage people of color, women and those who identify as LGBTQ to apply.
The salary range for this position is $80,000-90,000. Vote Solar provides full-time staff with a competitive package of benefits, including 3 weeks paid vacation in year one, four weeks starting in year two, plus sick time, and best-in-class health care and a retirement savings plan.
Start date: ASAP