Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
The energy market is roughly $4 trillion globally, and solar penetration is less than 1%. But just one hour of sunlight, if harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the opportunity to completely change the way energy is produced, distributed and consumed on a global scale, and we’re looking for talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve our goals.
SunPower is a global solar energy solutions company with a rich heritage of pioneering the best energy technologies in the world. Our solutions are unrivaled in terms of long-term reliability, efficiency and guaranteed performance, and our company is unmatched in terms of global reach and scale. Through design, manufacturing, installation and ongoing maintenance and monitoring, SunPower provides its proprietary, world-record efficient solar technology to residential, commercial and utility customers worldwide.
SunPower is changing the way our world is powered every day with a brilliant, passionate and driven team of more than 2,000 in North America and the Philippines. In an industry that is reshaping the world’s energy future, there’s no better place to be than SunPower.
We believe that our employees create our brand – with each project, each communication, each task completed and each interaction. Experience is critical to SunPower in regards to not only our customers but also our employees and dealer partners. As such, we strive to hire candidates that are service focused. The experience we would expect the ideal person to deliver is:
Job Summary & Responsibilities
SunPower is seeking an experienced and entrepreneurial Manager of Business Development to become a part of SunPower’s growing Business Development team. In this role, you will build relationships and secure contracts with landowners, permitting authorities, utilities and energy product off-takers to successfully originate and develop community solar projects across one or more state policy markets. You will work closely with SunPower's Project Finance, Development Engineers, Public Policy and Direct Sales groups to lead your projects successfully from site identification to notice to proceed (“NTP”). This position is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to get in on the “ground floor” of a growing business segment for SunPower – you will have free rein to chart your own success and grow a profitable book of business. We prefer that this position be based in our Boston, MA office, with a secondary preference for our Richmond, CA commercial headquarters. Remote working may be considered for exemplary candidates. Periodic travel to project development sites and local community meetings in your assigned states will be an aspect of this role; frequency and duration of travel will likely fluctuate based on the maturity of your project pipeline.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Achieve site control for favorable project locations in high-value energy markets
- Lead cross-functional teams of subject matter experts to secure development & construction rights for sites under control
- Develop project-specific business plans and economic structures
- Collaborate with quantitative analysts to value engineer projects throughout the development process
- Champion projects in presentations to internal and external stakeholders
- Represent SunPower in public meetings and off-taker negotiations
- Manage time and shifting priorities among active opportunities
Work on special projects to improve our processes, value proposition and reach like:
- Strategy development for emerging markets and business cases
- Creative deal structuring and new financing strategies
- Process improvement and templates integral to the team’s success
- Assisting in portfolio-level analysis, cash planning, and asset sales
- Self-starter – you have a bias for action and can rely on yourself to generate the majority of your own project opportunities
- Excellent communicator – you are proactive, responsive, and work well with others to solve problems
- Consummate networker – you are always growing your Rolodex of industry contacts and can work through relationships to find business
- Strategic planner – you are very well-organized, follow processes efficiently, and keep a close watch on all the pieces of your work and how they fit together
- Excellent integrative and analytical thinker – you thrive in complexity and take an exhaustive approach to get the right answers and making deals work
- Adaptive learner – you gain facility with new topics, tools, and processes quickly
- Team player – You display a high degree of emotional intelligence and bring humility, patience and humor to your work
- Bachelor’s degree
- 8+ years of experience in a project and/or business development role in the renewables sector or a closely related industry
- Demonstrated ability to drive complex, long-duration development projects to fruition
- Strong understanding of key quantitative business metrics
- Advanced degree in a related field (Business, Finance, etc.)
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual’s qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Company’s policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
Accommodation for Applicants to SunPower Corporation
SunPower Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment at SunPower Corporation: email@example.com. Please indicate in the subject that line of your email that you are requesting accommodation. Only candidates being considered for a position who require an accommodation will receive a follow-up response.
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS AND EMPLOYEES
Availability of Affirmative Action Plan for Review
SunPower is a federal government contractor. As a part of the Company’s obligations under law, it must develop a written Affirmative Action Program (AAP) for the Disabled, Recently Separated Veterans, Armed Forces Service Medal Veterans, Disabled Veterans and Active Duty Wartime Or Campaign Badge Veterans and for Women and Minorities as specified by law. Non-confidential and non-proprietary aspects of the AAP are available for inspection by applicants and employees, consistent with applicable law, which will be made available during office hours by contacting the EEO Officer.