The Minnesota Solar Energy Industries Association (MnSEIA) was established in 2009. MnSEIA’s mission is to grow solar energy industries as part of Minnesota's clean energy transition by delivering strong public policy, education, job creation and sustainable industry development. MnSEIA is a 501(c)(6) nonprofit trade association with over 125 Minnesota-oriented businesses and organizations in its membership. MnSEIA represents the business interests of its members and solar energy users to achieve its mission and goals, and it also coordinates with the U.S. Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) and other state SEIA affiliates as appropriate. The company has four current employees and expects to receive $600,000 in revenue for 2021.
MnSEIA’s membership is comprised of photovoltaic and thermal energy professionals, including solar installers, vendors, developers, distributors, manufacturers, labor unions, law firms, advocacy organizations, educators, utilities, and more. MnSEIA promotes the use of solar energy and conservation that best serves the public interest to improve the environment for a sustainable future while creating family-supporting jobs.
When MnSEIA was formed in 2009, solar installations in Minnesota generated about 1.5 Megawatts of electricity. Today, there are over 1,200 Megawatts generated from solar installations. Our company has grown along with state solar investment, but we want to go further. MnSEIA now has a board developed strategic plan that seeks to 1) ensure short-term and long-term growth of installed capacity and local workforce within each sector of solar and storage; 2) develop an inclusive and dynamic membership that collectively drives industry needs forward; 3) pass state-wide renewable energy policies that enable solar and storage growth, defends existing pro-solar policies and resists anti-solar policies; and 4) guide regulatory bodies to implement energy policies to enable solar and storage growth across all segment and defend against harmful regulations.
The Minnesota Solar Energy Industries Association (MnSEIA) Executive Director ensures continued growth and prosperity in Minnesota for the trade association’s membership, and for the trade association itself. Duties and responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to:
1. Top management authority and responsibility for the day-to-day activities, business decisions, legal activities, employment, and the overall affairs of the organization.
2. Lead, direct, and manage staff work activities, including annual performance reviews, compensation, and hiring or firing decisions.
3. Subscribe, oversee, and enforce MnSEIA’s Code of Conduct and other relevant policies for staff, the MNSEIA Board of Directors (the “Board) and members generally.
4. Serve as the primary employee for obtaining revenue, whether that be from memberships, event sponsorships, campaign pledge dollars or other income streams.
5. Primary responsibility for budget expenses and costs, as authorized and approved by the MnSEIA Board of Directors.
6. Plan, organize, set-up, and cooperate with the Board President for the Board meeting, and prepare materials for the Board meetings.
7. As an Ex Officio, non-voting member of the Board, uphold and fulfill the fiduciary duties of loyalty, care, and obedience, as required by applicable legal authority and corporate bylaws.
8. Implement MnSEIA’s Strategic Plan and execute Board directives, coordinating with the staff, MnSEIA Board and Executive Committee.
9. Plan, organize, set-up, and execute MnSEIA member meetings and other member engagement and networking opportunities, events and conferences.
10. Oversee, and ensure the success of, MnSEIA’s Legislative and Regulatory policy issues.
11. Serve as the voice of Minnesota’s solar industry on behalf of the MnSEIA membership.
- A BA/BS degree from an accredited, four-year college or university in Business, Law, Policy, Energy or a similar field.
- A post-secondary degree in Business, Law, Policy, Energy or a similar field.
- A history of managing employees and encouraging their growth.
- A proven track record in building and developing strong relationships with companies, team members, or other partners.
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills, strong leadership and management skills, professional demeanor and a positive attitude.
- An understanding of state government and business administration.
- Demonstrated experience working with 501c3/c4/c6 and membership-based organizational structures, and is able to work on/support multiple issue campaigns and programs.
The Executive Director’s performance is measured by the MnSEIA Executive Committee with oversight, advice and consent of the Board of Directors to ensure the annual MnSEIA Strategic Plan is successfully executed and organizational objectives are met or exceeded. The Executive Director shall perform his or her duties in a legal, just, and equitable manner.
The MnSEIA Executive Director is an employee of MnSEIA. Expected compensation is as follows:
- Salary: $90,000 - $110,000+ depending on qualifications.
- Paid time off: 22 days and federal holidays.
- Benefits: Health Insurance, and 3% employer match in a Simple IRA.
- Other perks: Exciting and dynamic job experience, getting to be a leader of a budding industry, frequent opportunities to engage with local media, and a wonderful core team.
To apply please submit your resume, cover letter, three references and any other application materials, if any, that you would like us to consider to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Executive Director Application” followed by your full name. Please make sure all documents are submitted in PDF format. All applications should be submitted by Friday, May 14th. Applications received after that date may or may not be considered.