This position will help achieve organizational success by supporting the origination, construction, and O&M teams throughout the entire project cycle. The position will report to the Director of Business & Project Development and sit on GRID’s National Community Solar Team.
- Create solar photovoltaic plan sets for turnkey rooftop and ground mount installations between 25kW to 10mW
- Analyze project priorities and constraints to create optimized code compliant designs for projects to be delivered on time and budget.
- Support the project origination team through a rapid design and modification process, generation analysis, site and permitting analysis, interconnection studies, and customer facing design proposals and estimates.
- Analyze interconnection potential of sites, and lead interconnection application/negotiation process with utilities
- Support regional construction teams by preparing project take-offs, costing, and BOM as well as providing input on site surveying, permitting, inspections, commissioning and O&M
- Collaborate with GRID’s procurement team to ensure project equipment is purchased to meet project design, budget and timeline requirements
- Collaborate with GRID’s operations team to develop and manage software tools to streamline commercial design and permitting process as well as decrease costs.
- Procure, manage, and collaborate with engineering and design subcontractors to optimize designs, meet tight timelines, and obtain stamped drawings when needed
- Ensure strict adherence to industry best practices, National Electrical Code standards, quality control, and superior engineering protocols throughout the lifecycle of solar assets
- Support system optimization efforts by critically analyzing current design and installation practices, equipment selection, specifications, and plant performance
- Train junior engineers and designers for proficiency in the process of commercial design
- Experience with commercial (at least 1MW) PV system design, technical feasibility assessments, and project flow
- Strong software skills in Excel, NREL SAM or PVSyst, Helioscope, Sketchup or AutoCAD
- Ability to quickly read and understand project building plans and construction schematics
- Experience with data analysis and particularly solar resource analysis and generation modeling
- Strong understanding of structural, electrical and civil codes
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally in a high stakes and fast passed environment, and deliver results when working independently or collaboratively
- Excellent communication skills (ability to work with volunteers and clients, ability to represent GRID Alternatives positively to diverse populations and stakeholders)
- Ability to manage heavy task load with competing priorities
- Flexibility and willingness to embrace change, go the extra mile, and bring ideas and energy to rapidly growing organization
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends, and travel to regional offices as needed (likely 4-5 trips per year)
- Experience in GRID regional markets a plus (CA, CO, DC/Mid-Atlantic, Tri-state)
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- NABCEP PV Installation Professional Certification (or ability to obtain within 12 months.)
- Professional Engineering licensing