The Chief Operating Officer (COO) provides oversight and direction for the project finance, engineering, procurement and construction, asset management/O&M and offtake functions at BlueWave. An exciting new role at BlueWave, the COO will be responsible for creating the structure necessary to build, own and operate solar and energy storage facilities as an independent power producer (IPP) throughout the Northeast and beyond. The COO reports directly to the CEO, is a member of the senior executive team, will lead a dynamic team and is expected to exercise critical thinking and detail-oriented oversight in ensuring that BlueWave’s asset operations are efficient, effective, and best in class.
Inclusion at BlueWave:
As a mission-driven B Corp, as environmentalists, and as humans, we hold ourselves accountable to creating a workforce that celebrates diversity on our team and within our communities. Our inclusive culture and core values inspire us to develop more innovative, bolder solutions to support our customers and partners in the solar industry. When you join BlueWave, you join a collaborative team doing all that we can to be transparent, sustainable, and inclusive as we fight for our shared vision of protecting the planet.
BlueWave provides employees with a robust benefits package including unlimited paid time off, dedicated volunteer days, and 13 paid holidays. In addition, we offer a 401k plan with company match, BlueWave employees are provided with long and short-term disability, and life insurance and can participate in company sponsored health, dental, and vision plans. This is a hybrid position - candidates will be expected to come into the office 2-3 days a week but will be set up to work remotely on other days.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead, develop and grow the Company’s overall acquisitions, project finance, offtake, construction, asset management, and O&M functions.
- Oversee the management and performance of a portfolio of solar and battery storage facilities as an independent power producer operating in regulated, merchant, and various power contract environments.
- Monitor the day-to-day operation, maintenance, fiscal, and administrative functions of each operating facility.
- Lead and support staff responsible for the management of P&L and cash positions, ensuring that accurate project budgets are developed and opportunities for prudent growth in operating cash flow are captured.
- Oversee all capital partner compliance requirements, and provide comprehensive, accurate, timely reporting for stakeholders on asset operational and financial performance.
- Propose and implement strategies to improve operational and financial performance and protect long-term asset value.
- Propose and support divestitures, acquisitions, asset re-positionings, capital expenditures and improvements, re-financings, and revenue enhancement opportunities.
- Optimize plant technical performance through investments, upgrades, and modifications to site equipment and software.
- Direct and oversee plant compliance with company objectives, governmental regulations, power purchase and interconnection agreements, transmission authorities, operations and maintenance agreements, annual operating plans, and prudent engineering practices across the fleet.
- Oversee commercial operations to enhance communications, including outage decision making, dispatch decisions, metric utilization, optimization of management and pooling of spare equipment, and plant capability to maximize economic performance and/or optimize the sale of energy output from the facilities.
- Prepare and submit for review and approval annual and long-term strategic plans, budgets and periodic reports for BlueWave's operating asset portfolio.
- Provide leadership to the asset management team, setting objectives in alignment with BlueWave's strategic plan and identifying and directing professional development of team members.
- Participate meaningfully in pursuing and pushing the companies ESG objectives and take a leadership role on that front within the company.
- Member of Senior Executive team and participation in all Investment Committee decisions.
- Represent the company at external events including industry-related conferences and media opportunities.
The COO will be responsible for overseeing the Project Finance, Procurement, Engineering and Construction, asset management and O&M and Offtake Teams. The Managing Directors for those teams report directly to the COO.
- The ideal candidate must have a bachelor’s degree in business, finance, or a related field.
- MBA strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of senior management experience.
- The ideal candidate must have experience in financing power projects (renewables, particularly solar and storage, preferred).
- In-depth understanding of and experience in the management, operation and maintenance of solar power facilities, including building and/or managing asset management and O&M teams.
- Demonstrated strategic leadership.
- Strong commercial transactions background required.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills (Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
- Sound judgement, with the capability of distilling detailed information in a concise manner, developing independent opinions and defending own views.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, excellent written and oral communication abilities.
- Highly organized, flexible and efficient with the ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines on a routine basis.
- Bases his/her decision-making process on ethics, integrity, and transparent communication
- Creates associations of trust and respect with key stakeholders – both internal and external.
- A thoughtful evaluator of a broad spectrum of inputs, impacts and outputs of any decision and course of action.
- Proven experience running complex financial models and making key business decisions based on results.
- This role requires a detail-oriented, organized and energetic self-starting team member with a strong background in the areas of solar and storage development, corporate administration and real estate.
BlueWave is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and will do so by actively seeking to hire and promote diverse individuals throughout the company.
Providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment is critical to our identity and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, handicap (disability), sexual orientation, gender identity/ or expression, genetics, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, military status or obligation, or other protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.