BlueWave is on a mission to revolutionize energy with simple, powerful solutions. As a pioneering solar developer, BlueWave has developed and sold more than 155 MW of solar projects to date. As built, these projects collectively generate enough solar energy to avoid roughly 119,490 metric tons of carbon emissions annually. A certified B Corp, BlueWave has received national recognition for its work to protect the planet, including being named the Clean Energy Company of the Year in 2018 by the Northeast Clean Energy Council, one of the top 100 Impact Companies in the United States for each of the last two years as rated by Real Leaders Magazine, and a leading growth company by Inc. Magazine and the Boston Business Journal.
The Chief Investment Officer (CIO) will be responsible for the direction and oversight of the Investment/Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) activities of BlueWave. We are seeking a talented and experienced CIO that has been on leadership teams of growth stage companies, with a track record of success in revenue and profitability growth and sustainable organizational execution. Our CIO will be a close and trusted business partner to the CEO and the senior leadership team, be intimately involved in the corporate strategy, and be a key leader driving BlueWave’s future growth. The CIO will provide executive leadership critical to the mission and vision of BlueWave on matters including corporate finance, project finance, accounting and financial reporting, financial planning and analysis, and integration with our technology-driven development platform. Meaningful experience with renewable tax equity and project finance structuring and reporting at the asset level is required. The CIO will also serve as a critical member of BlueWave’s Senior Executive Team and Investment Committee, providing overall leadership on the company’s strategic direction, annual goals, and its future potential. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the CIO will play a key role at BlueWave, bringing technical excellence and high-quality execution in making company, portfolio and project acquisitions.
The CIO will be a rainmaker who takes great pride in supporting the drive of MWs through our pipeline, completing operational and strategic initiatives, and achievement of the company’s vision to protect the planet by transforming access to renewable energy. This role will ideally require a presence at our Boston office on a hybrid basis. The successful candidate will be a highly intelligent, self-confident, and collaborative leader who is a strong communicator and has the skill, experience, and appetite to work with the executive team to analyze and act on opportunities for growth, and to assess and drive changes as needed for BlueWave to achieve the next level of performance.
BlueWave provides employees with a robust benefits package including unlimited paid time off, dedicated volunteer days, and 13 paid holidays. In addition, we offer a 401k plan with company match, subsidized health, dental, and vision plans, long and short-term disability, and life insurance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead project financing, debt sourcing, and tax equity initiatives.
- Function as the key stakeholder in management of portfolio- and corporate-level debt facilities.
- Support Development, Project Finance, Offtake and Legal teams in the analysis and negotiation of key financing arrangements (sponsor equity, debt, tax equity, joint ventures, joint development agreements).
- Build on existing investment processes to support the full project lifecycle.
- Develop the annual investment goals/targets that complement the strategic direction of the Company.
- Where necessary, design program and investment guidelines that consider the needs and interests of capital providers and contractors.
- Identify and source solar and storage project opportunities that BlueWave can co-develop, acquire, and own.
- Structure and negotiate master joint development and/or purchase and sale frameworks; refine and maintain all transaction document templates.
- Evaluate new projects, portfolios, and, if applicable, corporate acquisitions, and define terms for potential acquisitions; collaborate across teams to evaluate project development risks and valuation assumptions; lead preparation of Investment Committee presentations and materials.
- Lead and manage the negotiation and closing of project acquisitions and/or investments project acquisition; manage and oversee all related transaction due diligence.
- Evaluate the competitive landscape and research market transaction activity to obtain relevant insights for the company.
The Chief Investment Officer directly supervises the Managing Director for Project Finance and the Senior Controller. Depending on the experience of the candidate, other roles and functions within the company including Legal and Offtake functions may also report up through the CIO.
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance or Economics, MBA highly preferred.
- Finance/Mergers and Acquisitions and Investment experience in the renewable energy industry.
- Considerable experience in transaction origination (deal sourcing) and execution (deal closing); proven successful track record of initiating, managing, negotiating and closing complex transactions with demonstrated progress toward volume and scale.
- Have at least 15 years of corporate and finance experience, with 3-5 years at an executive level.
- Strong knowledge of forecasting, financial modeling, and investment structures related to renewable energy projects.
- Must have experience leading and taking full accountability for company corporate finance, project finance and project debt/equity.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).
- Patient and humble teacher who can explain/educate/present financial information to non-financial people at all levels/positions within the organization.
- Critical thinking on complex business issues with an ability to articulate viewpoints throughout our management team as well as the ability to implement change and adapt quickly while executing business initiatives.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, excellent written and oral communication abilities.
- Highly organized, flexible, and efficient with the ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines on a routine basis.
- Bases her/his decision-making process
on ethics, integrity, and transparent communication.
- Creates associations of trust and respect with key stakeholders – both internal and external.
- Knowledge of and commitment to financial, social, and environmental analysis and valuation.
- Strong traditional financial analysis and synthesis skills.
BlueWave is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and will do so by actively seeking to hire and promote diverse individuals throughout the company. Providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment is critical to our identity and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, handicap (disability), sexual orientation, gender identity/ or expression, genetics, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, military status or obligation, or other protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.