BlueWave is on a mission to revolutionize energy with simple, powerful solutions. As a pioneering solar developer, BlueWave has developed and sold more than 155 MW of solar projects to date. As built, these projects collectively generate enough solar energy to avoid roughly 119,490 metric tons of carbon emissions annually. A certified B Corp, BlueWave has received national recognition for its work to protect the planet, including being named the Clean Energy Company of the Year in 2018 by the Northeast Clean Energy Council, one of the top 100 Impact Companies in the United States for each of the last two years as rated by Real Leaders Magazine, and a leading growth company by Inc. Magazine and the Boston Business Journal.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO), will be responsible for the direction and oversight of the financial activities of BlueWave. We are seeking a talented and experienced CFO that has been on leadership teams of growth stage companies, with a track record of success in revenue and profitability growth and sustainable organizational execution. Our CFO will be a close and trusted business partner to the CEO and the senior leadership team, be intimately involved in the corporate strategy, and be a key leader driving BlueWave’s future growth. The CFO will provide executive leadership critical to the mission and vision of BlueWave on matters including corporate finance, accounting, financial reporting, compliance, financial planning and analysis, budgeting, expense control and integration with our technology driven development platform. Meaningful experience with renewable tax equity and project finance structuring and reporting at the asset level is preferred but not a requirement. The CFO will also serve as a critical member of BlueWave’s Senior Executive Team, providing overall leadership on the company’s strategic direction, annual goals and its future potential. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the CFO will play a key role at BlueWave, ensuring the financial integrity and fiscal sustainability of a dynamic and results-driven organization.
With significant growth expected as BlueWave expands its capabilities, we are seeking a CFO that relishes the growth stage of a company's evolution and has proven their ability to be a true impact player and a dynamic leader in analogous situations. The CFO will take great pride in supporting the drive of MWs through our pipeline, completing operational and strategic initiatives, and achievement of the company’s mission to build a better, more sustainable energy future. This role will ideally require a presence at our Boston office on a hybrid basis. The successful candidate will be a highly intelligent, self-confident, and collaborative leader who is a strong communicator and has the skill, experience, and appetite to work with the executive team to analyze and act on opportunities for growth, and to assess and drive changes as needed in personnel, processes, and systems needed for BlueWave to achieve the next level of performance.
BlueWave provides employees with a robust benefits package including unlimited paid time off, dedicated volunteer days, and 13 paid holidays. In addition, we offer a 401k plan with company match, subsidized health, dental, and vision plans, long and short-term disability, and life insurance.
Inclusion at BlueWave:
As a mission-driven B Corp, as environmentalists, and as humans, we hold ourselves accountable to creating a workforce that celebrates diversity on our team and within our communities. Our inclusive culture and core values inspire us to develop more innovative, bolder solutions to support our customers and partners in the solar industry. When you join BlueWave, you join a collaborative team doing all that we can to be transparent, sustainable, and inclusive as we fight for our shared vision of protecting the planet.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement tactical corporate strategies to manage the company's financial and accounting metrics as well as liquidity needs based on our growing solar and energy storage pipeline.
- Work with other members of the Senior Executive Leadership Team on project financing, debt sourcing, and tax equity initiatives.
- Create and execute FP&A framework that aligns with the company's strategic growth/expansion goals with consideration of capital needs for current and new solar and energy storage projects.
- Function as key stakeholder in management of portfolio and corporate level debt facilities.
- Support development, project finance and legal teams in the analysis and negotiation of key financing arrangements (sponsor equity, debt, tax equity, joint ventures, joint development agreement).
- Supervise the information technology, and data operations functions of the company.
- Oversee the procurement and maintenance of insurance with adequate limits to assure company assets are safeguarded from potential exposure.
- Manage the payroll function and oversee the accounting responsibilities related to benefits administration in conjunction with the People Team.
- Collaborate with management team in reviewing and managing complex business agreements and contract negotiations; acts as an advisor from the financial perspective on any corporate contracts or subcontracts into which the company may enter.
- The Chief Financial Officer directly supervises the Controller and the Managing Director for Data Operations/Information Technology and their respective teams. Depending on the experience of the candidate, other roles and functions within the company may also report up through the CFO.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting/Finance; CPA, MBA highly preferred.
- Finance/accounting experience in the construction and/or renewable energy industry.
- Have at least 15 years of corporate and management accounting experience, with 3-5 years at an executive level.
- Strong knowledge of forecasting, financial modeling, and financial reporting.
- CFO must be familiar with renewable energy financing structures. He/She should be able to manage personnel performing audits and similar reporting requirements.
- Must have experience leading and taking full accountability for company corporate finance, project finance, FP&A, and project debt/equity.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills (Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
- Patient and humble teacher who can explain/educate/present financial information to non-financial people at all levels/positions within the organization.
- Critical thinking on complex business issues with an ability to articulate viewpoints throughout our management team as well as the ability to implement change and adapt quickly while executing business initiatives.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, excellent written and oral communication abilities.
- Highly organized, flexible and efficient with the ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines on a routine basis.
- Bases his/her decision-making process on ethics, integrity, and transparent communication.
- Creates associations of trust and respect with key stakeholders – both internal and external.
- This role requires a detail-oriented, organized and energetic self-starting team member.
BlueWave is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and will do so by actively seeking to hire and promote diverse individuals throughout the company.
Providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment is critical to our identity and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, handicap (disability), sexual orientation, gender identity/ or expression, genetics, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, military status or obligation, or other protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.