ENGIE is committed to reshaping the energy future through the global implementation of a lower carbon energy economy in order to preserve the world’s natural resources. We are looking for talented and driven people who are committed to making the vision a reality.
The Business Development Manager will originate, negotiate, and structure project acquisition and partnership development activities within the ENGIE Distributed Solar and Storage (DSS) business in the United States. This position will build and manage relationships with key development channel partners and source new project and portfolio acquisition opportunities. This role is ideal for an ambitious and creative individual looking to source and lead transactions as the ENGIE DSS business rapidly expands its pipeline.
This position is located in Chicago, IL and is eligible to work in many locations across the US and reports to the Director of Business Development.
What you’ll do:
- Originate new pre-NTP project and portfolio acquisition opportunities (M&A) in ENGIE DSS’s core markets within the US. Conduct commercial due diligence and lead negotiation and transaction structuring
- Identify transaction, project, and market risks
- Collaborate with Business Development team on project valuation, due diligence, and risk mitigation
- Prepare project economic inputs for financial models
- Create and assign tasks for subject matter experts on Project Development, Engineering, and Estimation teams
- Manage existing joint-development partners against contractual deliverables
- Suggest and implement process improvements and other efficiencies
- Source additional joint- and partnership-development opportunities; structure and close associated transactions with support of Legal and Project Development teams
- Manage transaction negotiation and closings against strict schedules and deadlines; align stakeholder needs and internal approvals process
- Primary responsibility for drafting and presentation of investment committee approvals documents for business unit leadership
- Ensure that ENGIE is following internal pre-contract procedures and approvals processes
- Manage acquisition and project opportunities via ENGIE’s CRM
- Responsible for data management of partner and project data in ENGIE’s CRM
- Coordinate and direct third-party consultants as needed
- Assists with other tasks as assigned
What you bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Business Administration, Environmental Sciences, or Economics preferred
- A minimum of six (6) years of experience in energy; preference for customer or developer facing experience
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience leading or supporting energy project transactions, with an understanding of key value drivers for renewables projects Conscientious and detail oriented
- Unimpeachable integrity and acts with a team-first attitude
- High degree of creative problem-solving acumen, especially in the context of renewables transactions and project development
- Comfortable resolving and settling challenging commercial disagreements – always poised and professional with internal and external stakeholders
- General understanding of renewable energy market trends and the resulting impacts on solar project development
- Experience with distributed / community solar programs a plus.
- Results-oriented and motivated professional with the ability to work independently within a large matrixed organization while effectively interfacing with the various cross-functional employee groups
- Ability to thrive in quickly changing environment and manage multiple high-stakes transactions simultaneously
- Superior verbal and written communication skills and high level of attention to detail with the ability to present to a wide range of audiences, including third party developers, landowners, potential off takers, government officials, and corporate leaders
- A proficiency in MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint; CRM tools a plus
- Must be available to travel up-to 25% of the time and with the need for some overnight trips
- Must be willing and able to comply with all ENGIE ethics and safety policies
- Ability to meet highest attendance requirements
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbally
- Ability to handle multiple assignments on a timely basis with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to use a computer, calculator, etc.
- Could involve some lifting / up to 25 lbs
- Eligible for a hybrid schedule consisting of in-office and work-from-home opportunities
ENGIE North America isn’t just participating in the Zero-Carbon Transition, we’re leading it! Join us as we develop energy that is more renewable, more efficient, and more accessible to everyone.
Unite with us in leading the transformation of the world of energy! ENGIE is looking for talented and motivated individuals to create the future of energy and customer solutions. Join a rewarding and flexible work environment that encourages innovation and creativity to help customers meet their energy challenges today and in the future. Are you up for the challenge?
At ENGIE, our goal is to support, promote, and thrive on diversity, equity, and inclusion. We do so for the benefit of our employees, customers, products and services, and community. So ENGIE is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is also an affirmative action employer. We are firmly committed to creating an equitable and inclusive environment for all employees.
We are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at ENGIE are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications. ENGIE is committed to providing equal employment opportunity regardless of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity, or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, marital status, civil union, or domestic partnership status, military service or veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition, genetic information, or any other legally protected category (referred to as “protected characteristics”) as defined by applicable federal, state or local law in the locations where we operate.
If you need assistance with this application or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at ENGIENA-ENGIEHR@engie.com. Please note: This email address is reserved for individuals with disabilities in need of assistance and is not a means of inquiry regarding positions or application status.