AES Distributed Energy (AES DE) is currently seeking a Business Development Project Manager (BD PM) to lead project development efforts as a member of AES DE’s Greenfield Business Development team. The Greenfield team is tasked with internal self-origination and development of projects in comparison to its other business development team which includes channel partners and acquisitions. The successful candidate will lead and manage all project development efforts on AES DE greenfield projects from after a project is originated and contracted through to construction commencement. This includes project permitting, coordinating site studies and diligence, managing the interconnection process, managing project development budgets, and ensuring projects successfully reach construction commencement.
This position will be based in AES DE’s headquarters of Boulder, Colorado and reports to the Director of Business Development. The role requires the ability to manage multiple project portfolios, attention to detail and travel as needed. The successful candidate will work on a cross functional team with origination, legal, finance, engineering, construction, and outside consultants, landowners, customers, project stakeholders and utility companies. The role requires project management knowledge and solar energy industry experience.
- Lead and manage all aspects of development for AES DE Greenfield projects from after origination through to construction commencement
- Develop and manage project development schedules and budgets
- Lead project meetings with internal and external stakeholders
- Manage contract obligations in key project documents
- Lead Project Discretionary Permitting including permit strategy, tracking permit efforts, working with local AHJs, presenting at permit hearings
- Coordinate for delivery of site and environmental studies, surveys and diligence reports
- Coordinate for delivery of ALTA Surveys and Title Reports
- Lead Interconnection process from Interconnection Application through to Interconnection Agreements
- Work with internal and external Engineering teams as they progress engineering and design
- Work with internal construction management team on contractor selection process
- Coordinate with construction management team on securing ministerial permits
- Handoff projects once fully developed and permitted to construction management team
- Participate in project financings answering relevant diligence questions and providing required documents
- Coordinate additional resources or outside consultants/contractors as well as managing and meeting expenses throughout project development.
- Apply critical thinking needed to communicate and influence employees at all levels regarding project risks, opportunities, and recommended action
- Provide support and analysis for Business Development pipeline reporting
- Assist the Greenfield Development team as needed and applicable on upfront origination efforts
Skills and Qualifications:
- At least 5 (five) years of project management and/or development experience in solar energy or related field
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in engineering, project/construction management or equivalent
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Extensive knowledge of solar project development, utilities, interconnection, permitting, contracting
- Extensive knowledge of renewable energy technologies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required including public speaking and/or platform skills for executive management presentations
- Self-starter, very self-reliant and capable of operating with minimum supervision
- Willingness and ability to travel 10-20% on average but more as required by projects
- Energy storage knowledge a plus
- Experience utilizing CRM systems and developing metrics.
- Comfortable managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment