Borrego Solar Systems, Inc., a leading national engineering, financing, design, construction, operation and maintenance firm concentrating on the development of solar and energy storage systems for the commercial, utility, and public sectors, seeks a Project Developer based out of New York City.
Teamwork, integrity, a passion for sustainable energy, and an ability to generate and manage change is what drives our company’s success. We are seeking an experienced, motivated and well organized professional whose dedication and leadership will help propel the company to achieve its most important goals.
About the Position: The primary purpose of this position is to drive bookings and revenue growth in the New York target market by establishing and maintaining key relationships with potential landowners, project developers, financiers, offtake customers, policy-makers, and land affiliates. The candidate will be expected to be a regional expert on solar + storage and stand-alone storage in the company, and must either have or quickly develop fundamental market knowledge and the ability to create a successful plan to develop new business. A strong applicant will be smart, articulate, motivated, independent, creative, and organized, with the ability to to lead a team of individuals with varying technical expertise, and to learn the technical and financial details of our business quickly. Additionally, applicants should have experience as lead developer for at least 5 MW of installed storage projects and 2 MW of installed solar projects. This is a solar plus storage position. The successful candidate must have energy storage experience, and PV experience also is strongly preferred.
• NYC location- covers Southeast NY, Long Island, and the Boroughs.
Position Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Develop solar & storage and stand alone storage projects equal to or larger than 1 MW.
• Meet or exceed annual sales targets (>$15MM).
• Develop projects from lead inception to executed construction contract, including obtaining site control, determining interconnection options and site constraints, preparing permitting plans and supporting permit approval processes, acquiring the incentive, identifying and removing impediments to finance, and working as part of an internal development, engineering, interconnection, operations, and finance team through late stage development.
• Lead/opportunity generation through independent activities including account profiling, cold calls, business networking and other market penetration strategies.
• Identify potential sites or customers in the NY market, filter and prioritize “real” opportunities from others.
• Gather market intelligence and expand relationships with appropriate government, regulatory, and utility officials, as well as other developers working in the market, to understand project approval process, electric rates and regulations and incentives structures.
• Analyze the impact of changing regulatory environments and adjust strategy as necessary.
• Work independently and with senior management team to develop and execute on strategic plans to meet annual sales goals.
• Work with internal teams noted above to identify the most appropriate technical, material and financial solutions to optimize system competitiveness and be able to clearly present combined technical and financial solution internally and externally.
• Generate proposals, quotes, and formal RFP responses.
• Work with legal and executive teams to negotiate contract terms and close transactions.
• Consult with clients, construction and finance professionals to develop necessary financial models and assist with tax, financing, and regulatory related research and negotiations.
• Maintain pipeline reporting and deal activity (Salesforce exp. preferred).
• Tenacious problem solver that can accurately identify, assess, solve, implement, and communicate outcomes of complex challenges.
• Self-motivated, independent professional with excellent communication skills, strong technical aptitude and the ability to thrive under pressure.
• Highly organized with ability to manage multiple projects in parallel and prioritize competing demands Passion for renewable energy.
Desired Skills and Experience:
• Strong knowledge of the solar industry preferred – or equivalent knowledge and experience in large capex sales into Commercial and Industrial clients; including account penetration and influence of Corporate and Board level decision makers.
• Successful track record in a complex sales environment (over 5 years’ of $1MM sales transactions), preference for commercial or public-sector photovoltaic sales experience. Complex sales include technical, construction and/or financial products with mid-to-long sales cycles, and require established skillsets including relationship building, lead generation and deal closing, and demonstrated account growth and project advancement abilities.
• Demonstrated ability to manage and interface effectively with cross-functional employee groups.
• Ability to spend time in-person with customers and travel frequently in assigned territory (20-50% travel).
• Understanding of finance / business concepts (NPV, ROI, IRR, etc.).
• Familiarity with formal project management methodologies and ability to read and interpret architectural and engineering drawings a plus.
• Bachelor’s degree required; MBA preferred.
Borrego Solar’s approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a workplace that is casual, upbeat and hard working. We strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction and education. We promote from within and are looking for career-minded individuals, looking to advance in the growing solar industry. We offer great pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
• Competitive base salary
• Potential for bonuses
• Comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance
• Self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies
• 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting
• Continuing education and professional development assistance
Borrego Solar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Click the link below to apply on Borrego Solar's online job portal:
Thank you for considering to join our team! We can’t wait to hear from you.
(We are not using external recruiting services at this time.)