About OYA Solar Inc.
OYA Solar Inc., one of the fastest growing solar companies in North America, is looking for someone self-driven, and passionate about solar, with exceptional legal experience to fill the General Counsel position at our company. OYA Solar is a developer and financier of commercial rooftop, community solar and utility-scale projects in Canada and the U.S. To date, OYA Solar has developed, engineered, and arranged for financing for over 200 MW of solar projects in North America and has a current pipeline exceeding 1 GW.
The General Counsel will serve as a member of the senior management team and will provide strategic legal advice and support on multiple aspects of OYA’s business.
- Provide legal counsel for the company’s international business activities.
- Assume ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Provide guidance as well as prepare, examine, and negotiate contracts for a wide range of commercial transactions, including acquisitions and sales of energy facilities, joint ventures and other joint arrangements, engineering, procurement and construction contracts, power purchase agreements and other off-take and hedge agreements, interconnection agreements, supply agreements and operations and maintenance agreements.
- Interpret and apply legal requirements to the business, in particular, laws, regulations and rules relating to business activities as well as implementation of policies, training, or other processes.
- Manage and participate in litigation processes as needed.
- Coordinate with outside counsel on litigation and specialized issues as required.
- Provide counsel to Human Resources Department on employee-related legal matters.
- Establish and manage relationships with external legal counsel to address business needs in an effective and cost-efficient manner.
- Provide management team with day-to-day legal perspective and guidance, as well as risk assessment and mitigation.
- Assist with a variety of corporate matters including organizational documents, company structure, and management of corporate entities.
- Foresee and protect the company against legal risks through dispute avoidance and resolution, review of contract documents, contract negotiations, and handling of specialty trade contractors and supplier disputes.
- JD Degree and member of a State Bar Association
- A minimum of ten (10) years of relevant legal experience or such other experience with transactions and other legal matters as will enable the individual to provide concrete and effective legal advice.
- Corporate – commercial transaction, financing and/or real estate legal experience required.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability and desire to work effectively in a team environment.
- Experience in the energy sector or similar industry (e.g. infrastructure) strongly preferred.
- Influential, with the ability to become a resource for employees and internal stakeholders.