Borrego Solar Systems, Inc., a leading national engineering, financing, design, construction, operation and maintenance firm concentrating on the development of solar and energy storage systems for the commercial, utility, and public sectors, seeks an Instructional Designer and Trainer to join our team in Lowell, MA.
Teamwork, integrity, a passion for sustainable energy and an ability to generate and manage change is what drives our company’s success. We are seeking an experienced, motivated and well-organized professional whose dedication and insight will help propel the company to achieve its most important goals.
About the position: This position will report to our Sr. Manager of Talent Management and will be part of our Borrego Academy team, which is part of the People and Culture team. In partnership with solar developers, engineers, construction staff and other Borrego colleagues, this position will develop and curate learning content, and conduct training to improve onboarding, management skills, career development and employee performance in many areas. The Borrego Academy is a new umbrella program and team with the mission to create a dynamic learning culture and set of resources to enable employees to rapidly improve their skills, resulting in a competitive advantage for Borrego Solar and enhanced career development for employees.
Position Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
● Conducting needs analysis to identify the skills and knowledge required for successful performance in priority job roles.
● Working with internal subject matter experts to develop instruction and/or reference content to improve team performance.
● Building the content into presentations, video, exercises, quizzes and/or e-learning formats for delivery.
● Creating and maintaining an onboarding program for new hires, that helps them become effective sooner and connects them to their colleagues and the company culture.
● Developing and executing practical evaluation strategies for assessing the effectiveness of learning and performance support programs.
Required Skills and Experience:
● Good verbal communication and ego-free partnering with content experts, leaders, training participants and other stakeholders.
● Humility and a team orientation.
● Curiosity about people’s jobs, lives and what help they need in order to be successful.
● Five or more years doing instructional design and development, preferably in a corporate or non-profit environment.
● Knowledge and experience with content development tools for video editing, e-learning authoring, and presentation tools, as well as G Suite or Microsoft Office.
● Skill and experience as a trainer/facilitator.
● Very good writing skills, so that written communications are succinct and easy to understand.
● Skill and experience in project or program management, and in driving continuous improvement of programs and customer service.
● Strong personal leadership skills and habits, such as organization, time/task management.
● Experience with and insight into change management and stakeholder management.
● A college degree or equivalent work experience.
● A passion for, and ideally experience with, renewable energy, especially solar.
● Some domestic travel will be required.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
● Experience in the renewable energy industry, especially with solar energy and storage.
● Experience with engineering, sales, and/or construction teams.
● Experience facilitating leadership development training
● Experience using one or more learning management systems, for course scheduling, skill tracking, the hosting of e-learning, etc.
● Experience in the curation of learning content from multiple sources, and experiences (experiential learning) into learning paths, programs or certification tracks.
● Experience with Lean methods of continuous improvement.
Borrego Solar’s approach to compensating our employees is unique and progressive. We offer a casual community based workplace that is upbeat and hard working. We strive for quality workmanship and place a large emphasis on customer satisfaction. We promote from within and are looking for career minded individuals, looking to advance in the growing photovoltaic industry. We offer pay commensurate with experience along with excellent benefits including:
● Competitive base salary
● Profit sharing
● Comprehensive benefits package including dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance
● Self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies
● 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting
● Continuing education and professional development assistance
Borrego Solar provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Click the link below to apply on Borrego Solar's online job portal:
Thank you for considering to join our team! We can’t wait to hear from you.
(We are not using external recruiting services at this time.)